Katie is my shortened, given name. Katydids are pretty cool bugs. I'm not really into bugs and I go by "mommy" a whole lot more than I do Katie. This site is dedicated to accomplishing all things mommy/woman/human. So when people want to know who DID..................... I can say Mommy DID!

June 9, 2011

Things That Fly

There are some truly wonderful things that fly. Kites are pretty, good exercise and a nice hobby for a lot of people. Birds really add something to what could otherwise be a boring existence for us. They sing, are really beautiful and soar in such a graceful way. Airplanes...yep, airplanes are useful and really have changed the way people travel the world over.

There are a couple of things that fly that I hate and become actually quite phobic when around them. Case in point....moths. Now I know they can't hurt me. I also know that they fly very sporadically and hide very easily. The will fly out at a moments notice, and probably at your face or into your hair. It is just a fact!

The other night, I opened the back door for the dogs to go out...AFTER turning on the back porch light. BIG mistake! A huge moth flew in right at my face and proceeded to get caught between my hair and my neck. After screaming and flailing around frantically it was dislodged and flew directly towards the kitchen light. I left the room to grab the broom to try and swat at it...because you understand I couldn't go to bed with it just OUT THERE. When I came back.....it was GONE! I slept with a fly swatter under my pillow. The next morning I took the fly swatter in the bathroom with me...just in case. Nothing. Later in the day, I was drying Toby off in the bathroom after his bath without a care in the world. Suddenly the moth flies out from it's hiding spot right at me! I almost dropped poor Toby, but instead, ran out of the room with him and shut the door (where is that damn fly swatter???).

I knew it was in there and it was just a matter of time before it would have to die. I got Ben to help and we were going to get that thing. We open the door and......NOTHING! Again...hiding....waiting. So, I let it go, but this time I was going to be ready. Fly swatters all around!

This morning, I go into the bathroom to take my shower. There is the moth on the top corner of the wall. I grabbed the swatter and went in solo this time. After several minutes of psyching myself up, I went in for the kill. I hit it dead on. I just stayed there on the wall. So I hit it again, this time dropping to the floor. I heard it hit the floor, it was that big! I moved the trash can and made sure it was dead by flicking it a little (with the fly swatter). I was clear to take a safe shower. After my shower, I cleaned my ears and went to throw the q-tips away. Wasn't the moth dead on the floor by the trash can? NOT THERE!!! I moved the trash can....NOT THERE! Where did it go? How could it go anywhere...after all, I had hit it twice with that fly swatter. Still....NOT THERE!

Now you tell me....where the heck did that thing go???? I still can not find it and am seriously regretting not having dropped it in the toilet when I first saw it "dead" on the floor. It's out there somewhere....in my house....waiting for me...just hiding and waiting...

2 comments:

  1. Ok, super funny. I read this yesterday before I took my shower and I was still thinking about it when I got in. I haven't noticed many moths lately, but what should happen to fly up at me as I adjusted the water? Yep! A moth! Weird, huh? I quickly grabbed a washcloth and squashed it, though, so I know he isn't lurking behind a corner waiting for me. :) I just thought it was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! That's just too much! Well, I have to say that mr. moth is dead now. This morning while getting ready for work, I saw it hanging out on the wall behind the toilet. I got the fly swatter and smacked it good and in the toilet it went. Flushed and off to moth heaven...or moth hell for tormenting me, I'm not sure which! ick!

    ReplyDelete