Katie is my shortened, given name. Katydids are pretty cool bugs. I'm not really into bugs and I go by "mommy" a whole lot more than I do Katie. This site is dedicated to accomplishing all things mommy/woman/human. So when people want to know who DID..................... I can say Mommy DID!

June 12, 2011

Rhubarb!!!


So my lovely neighbor just shared some Rhubarb with me. How lucky am I? Well, I'm not sure. I have never baked with Rhubarb. She tells me though that it freezes easily and, if dried out at all, can be "rejuvenated" by placing the stalks in a pitcher of water! Amazing! One site refers to Rhubarb as the "stalk of the gods". That's pretty lofty! So what makes this pie suitable vegetable so great?
1) It's a tart vegetable that when coupled with sweet, puts out its' own amazing, sweet flavor.

2) It's super rich in vitamin C and is actually one of only a handful of natural vitamin C's.
3) It's really easy to grow, loves cold climates and doesn't shy away from an overnight frost.

4) Makes a beautiful addition to a flower arrangement...be aware that the leaves are toxic!

Now, my husband loves strawberry-rhubarb pie. I will be researching recipes to find one that sounds good. He is gone for another week for National Guard drill, so I have some time. The most recent Taste of Home magazine has about 6 Rhubarb recipes that all sound really great. I think I will play with it a little first to better prepare myself. My neighbor said to be prepared for more because she has a ton! Ya? I'll keep you posted....

Here's a link to a site that has some GREAT rhubarb tips. If you have rhubarb growing in your garden or just a rhubarb lover in your family, check out this site: http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--1110/all-about-rhubarb.asp I think you will find the info you need there....I know Mommy DID!

And.....ready for business!

4 comments:

  1. Rhubarb is so easy to prepare...I made a crisp (where is that recipe?) for Mike one time, and it turned out super nummy! Just needs a ton of sugar! Love you, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Taste of Home mag had a crisp recipe! Hmmm...might make a good Father's Day Dessert! I have to do a strawberry rhubarb pie for Jeremiah too. I would love to try a jam...never done that before! :) Let me know if you find that recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to write that Mommy gave me a crisp recipe that was awesome! I'll look...I know I have it somewhere. Jam is soooo fun and really is easy, you just have to have all your stuff out and ready to do it, so you don't have to hunt for stuff while you're supposed to be stirring and stuff. There may even be some freezer jam recipes you could find. I've never done freezer jam, but it's supposed to be really easy and good. I'll look for the crisp recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I thought I found it, but I found a pie recipe instead by Cindy Crawford. I think Mommy gave me this one too, though, and it sounds scrumptious and easy (I'm pretty sure I've made it, just can't remember 100%):

    2 2/3 c. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    2/3 c. vegetable oil
    6 Tbs. milk
    -Mix ingredients and split in 1/2 and roll out for top and bottom crust.

    3 c. strawberries, halved
    2 c. sliced rhubarb
    1 1/4 c. sugar
    1/3 c. flour
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    -Mix well and put in crust. Preheat oven to 400. Cut 2 Tbs. of butter into chunks and lay on top of strawberry mixture. Lay top crust on, vent the top with slits and pinch and trim your sides. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 50 minutes and cool for 1 hour before serving.

    ReplyDelete