Katie is my shortened, given name. Katydids are pretty cool bugs. I'm not really into bugs and I go by "mommy" a whole lot more than I do Katie. This site is dedicated to accomplishing all things mommy/woman/human. So when people want to know who DID..................... I can say Mommy DID!

June 11, 2011

365 Day Projects

365 Day Projects are something of a "fad" since, I think, the movie Julie and Julia. In the movie, Julie decides to start a project where she cooks Julia Child's recipes for 365 days strait and blog about her endeavor. I have since found several blogs where people have started such projects. One girl took random horrible dresses/mu-mus and transform them into something really cute and useful. In each blog entry she not only describes what sewing she did, but also shows pictures of the process. It's very cute, actually! So here are some thoughts I had for a 365 Day Project for myself. Now, don't get any ideas. This is completely non-committal for now! I am, however, looking for input. So....comment away!

1) Bake It/Share It - For 365 days, I bake a little something and share it with an unsuspecting neighbor, friend, family, co-worker, etc. That's 365 different recipes over 365 days to 365 different people. Blog about the food made, their reaction to the giving, etc. Hmmm...might be a lot of cost and time. Would certainly be worth the effort though! That's 365+ lives touched and given to.

2) Thank you! Thank you! - For 365 days, write a thank you note to someone. Someone from my now or my past. In the mail, email, or hand delivered. Get creative with the mediums used to create the thank you and blog about that. Would be less of a cost and less time consuming as project #1, but as fun? Not too sure....

3) Party It Up! For 365 days, blog about party ideas. Start with the theme/event and essentially plan a fake party. Be descriptive, use pictures and be detailed...even down to how much it would cost. I LOVE party planning and have had some great ones for my kids. I have also helped with a couple of my sisters wedding. This might be a fun one...and no real cost at all. Lots of time though...

So there you have it! 3 ideas for 365 Day Projects. Which would you choose? What other ideas do you have? If you know me well enough, is there one you know I wouldn't/couldn't do? Is that a dare??? Hmmm??? Well, let's hear it! Comments welcome! And as always, feel free to share!

12 comments:

  1. I would love to complete a "Thank You" challenge myself, so that gets my vote. A project such a that would force you to realize how blessed you are by the people in your life. It would be rewarding for you and the people you thank through the year. I look forward to following you on your journey, whichever one you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. party ideas. I would stipulate that each day doesn't have to be an entire party, could also just be eg. "the perfect party game for your writer teen" etc. just elements that you could even tag so that, after the year, one could look up "teenager" and come up w a lot of things they could incorporate into a party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I def think that I love the Thank You Note challange the most. I think what a nice day to brighten someones day with your warm words of how that person has brightened and blessed your life. As you are writing, I think that it will bless you as well.
    The baking one seems like it would take much more time than you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And its me Cheryl, Katie. I couldnt figure out how to log in. I am not Anonymous, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comments! Keep 'em coming! Linda, I had the same thought. One day might be the perfect drink to have at a Christmas time Progressive Dinner. The next day could be top 10 music to listen to at a "hip" wedding reception. That type of thing. You gals brought up so great points...thanks for helping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I like the thank you one the best!! The other two are cool, too. Parties are fun, but not particularly unique. The baking sounds like it could be quite unique as you personalize gifts, but calls for expense or compromise. The thank you is a perfect balance and offers some opportunity for depth, humor, reconnection with old relationships, reconciliation and thought provoking experiences that would bless you, your family and readers.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a couple friends who post pictures every single day for a year, that's a neat one too and you are really good at photography. I love the thank you one and of course, the baking one. What about a 52 week project for something like that? Bake something once a week and give it out and blog about it, less cost, same result as far as surprising someone. Love the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Katie: Great thoughts. I would have to caution regarding the bake challenge...way too much time and cost involved there. Maybe challenge yourself to prepare one meal a day for your family, any meal, and write about that. Or teach your kids to cook one thing a day for 365 days...I like the thank you one too...if you think you know 365 people! That could also include local, state, federal people who do good things to serve...like army people and policemen and so on...you could also include the children in on that one, and then write about how the choice was made, etc. Another idea is a gratefulness journal...always a good thing to do, but to specify one for each day with some thought...that would be good. I like the picture idea too...what an album that would be at the end of the year! One other idea is to read a very big challenging book, and break it into parts, one part for each day of the year...and write about that...people do that with the Bible. And then you have a running commentary on that. I can't believe it is almost time for fire works!! The year goes by so fast...What do we accomplish in a year? That would be a good idea too...do one thing every day that is a measurable accomplishment!! Enough! Your mommy has spoken!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I just thought of another idea!! 365 ways to say "I Love You!" Specific things that were done or said to show someone in your life that you love them! That would be a challenge, but very rewarding, I would think...even a small thing like bringing a cup of coffee to hubby...think of all the good things that would come from that. Of course, you couldn't point out to the recipient that this was part of your 'to do' list! Just do it, and then write about the results that will come...ok. I'm done!! Love, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love the gratefulness journal idea! I could take a photo each day of what it is I'm grateful for...incorporate the two ideas. The thank you idea is one I've wanted to do for a long time 'cause people just don't say thank you enough. It actaully came from Jenny (without her knowing it). She is ALWAYS sending out thank you cards for everything! Yes, Mommy, it would be as you said...even people I don't know. Officials, people who make a difference, teachers, etc. I think you have a great idea Kelly, about the 52 weeks project idea! Doesn't have to be everyday, does it? That's smart! All of these could incorporate the kids and that's something I would do. I'll poll them and see what they think...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Katie! My suggestion is from Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts. Make a list each day of some of the Lord's blessings sprinkled through the day, and be alert to how they affect your life. The goal is 1,000. I do at least three a day, but once I get started, there are usually more than that! My post today relates to this http://travelighter.blogspot.com. Good to hear from you - enjoyed your blog.
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to seeing what you do. There are some very exciting ideas!

    Cindy. I tried to log in to post, but that kept failing.

    ReplyDelete