Katie is my shortened, given name. Katydids are pretty cool bugs. I'm not really into bugs and I go by "mommy" a whole lot more than I do Katie. This site is dedicated to accomplishing all things mommy/woman/human. So when people want to know who DID..................... I can say Mommy DID!

June 8, 2011

The Dreaded Schedule

I work in a place where schedules are constant. Not only that, on a given day, there are 7+ schedules to keep track of. And not for just that particular day...no, for weeks and months ahead as well. I need to be able to know where people are at, how long they will be there, and be able to change, update, and coordinate all these schedules. So riddle me this....WHY do I have such an issue with my own schedule?

There are a total of 5 members of my family. Sure they all go to different schools or have a couple of jobs, but the scheduling is not complex. You add in the 2 dogs and maybe, just maybe it gets a little tricky. No! It doesn't! So, I need to figure out a system or media that works for me and just DO IT!
Things to Consider:

1) Mobility - I need to be able to take the schedule with me to review and change as needed.

2) Enough space for 6 schedules...the 5 of us and one for the dogs.

3) Available for all members of the household to review and understand.

Option 1:

Smart phone: My phone is dated and I do need a new one. I would love a smart phone that has more features than just call and keypad text. I could access the web, "swipe" text and use apps for scheduling. That would be more efficient, right? Sure...but! Those plans are usually more expensive, even if the phone is free. Also, I can't have out, on or use a cell phone at work. Sure, I could check it in the morning and at lunch, but the main purpose would be to use it on a regular basis....which I couldn't do. But maybe there are family plans that are a little cheaper and have "linked" calendars. This way we would all know who is going to be where. If I change something on their calendar they could be notified of the change. Hmmm....something worth looking into. My husband might lose his or not have it charged and my eldest would have Matallica downloaded on his before I could blink an eye. But, we could establish a routine and maybe it could work.

Option 2:

Desk calendar or "mom" wall calendar: There are sooo many great options for the "busy mom" here. Stickers, special pens, post-its and more make it so easy to use these calendars. One problem...they aren't very mobile. Sure, everyone could check it in the morning and know where they are supposed to be and how they are getting there, but what if something changes. I wouldn't be able to update on a regular basis, let alone let the others know what's changed. Maybe there is a handy size that has enough space, but is mobile. I do most all the coordinating anyway, so the others don't HAVE to have theirs with them. Hmmm...maybe.

Option 3:

DIY calendar: I'm pretty computer savvy. I could just use a web site or program to keep up on all the schedules. At the beginning of the week each person's calendar could be printed. As changes happen, we just make note of them and move on. They could hang the schedules in their room as reminders and then maybe...hmmm....ok, maybe not. I can see it now! The forgetting, the losing, the mess, the waste, the cost. Well, with a little planning and some research, this might be a good option.

Mommy DID:

For now, I am going to utilize a wall calendar that has the typical squares on one page and weekly pages that follow. I already own it so there is no additional cost involved. It is hanging in a central place and it has enough columns for each of us. By the beginning of the school year, I will have researched the smart phone option and will probably go that route. I like the idea of being able to text someone if their schedule changes. I also like that they would have access to their own calendars....after all, I can't do it ALL for them all the time.

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog! Check out Cozi.com, they have a calendar that's online and you can link it to a smart phone should you choose to get one.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I've been on Cozi long ago and will go check them out again. I knew there would be something like that out there! good news!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do the wall calender thing by the back door... we never use the front door. each person has their own color pen and i write everything on there at the beginning of the moth as the days happen then we erase them other wise it looks so "full" i also have the kids write what groceries we run out of during the month on the top... often times it spills into the part of the month that has already been erased too.
    Then I also have a 8 1/2 by 11 paper calender that I carry around with me in my purse. I get that thing out a lot... at work when they ask me to work ahead ( i am still just "on call" for 3 different Post offices) at church to schedule activities for the kids or meetings... at 4-H yeah just about everything at 4-H meetings has to go in there and soccer. I am constantly whipping that thing in and out. I do still forget things but it for me is a little better than having it on my phone

    ReplyDelete