Katie is my shortened, given name. Katydids are pretty cool bugs. I'm not really into bugs and I go by "mommy" a whole lot more than I do Katie. This site is dedicated to accomplishing all things mommy/woman/human. So when people want to know who DID..................... I can say Mommy DID!

June 10, 2011

Something worth watching...


Watch this...and then think about it. I am soooo guilty of using "retarded" as slang. I've always chalked it up to a "Valley Girl" thing or even "just kidding". It's never cool....never.
I love the show Glee. I love that Jane Lynch's character, Sue Sylvester, has a soft place in her heart for her sister who had Down Syndrome. She took care of her and loved her no matter what...and her sister was the exact opposite of her! Sue's sister passed away in an episode this season and I wept. It is so amazing how much of an impact people and stories have on us.
So watch....then think. Mommy DID!

4 comments:

  1. this is so cool. my sis has downs and so I know all too well what people have called her. I've never let my kids call their aunt "retarted" in fact I don't think they've even know how to use the word.....I hope.
    neat clip, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I've never called someone with downs or any other challenge "retarted", I have said things like "that's retarted" or "stop being retarted". Completely wrong! I am just as guilty as if I had said it right to the face of someone with downs. Thank you for sharing. I too will be teaching my children the importance of using good words and not using the "r" word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, This video means alot to me and I am thrilled that you posted it on your blog! The "R" word is a swear word at our house as it should be in every house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, I have to tell you that while walking through Walmart yesterday, there was a young man with downs walking with a friend. As he walked past, Dylan said "hi my friend" and put out his hand (to shake). The man patted Dylan's head and shook his hand and said "you're nice!". We both walked on...but there was a moment there that made me so proud and happy. Dylan saw a friend...not a teenager with Downs. It was so great...simply nice. :)

    ReplyDelete